Our bodies are mostly water. Though the exact percentage varies between men, women, and children, all of our bodies are, in fact, comprised of well over fifty percent water. We are not only made of water, but our many parts and cells require water to function. So, it comes as no surprise that dehydration would negatively affect the body, wellness, and mood. Most resources recommend drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day. The exact amount you truly require depends on several factors including your activity level, the climate in which you live, your size, age, and sex. You will enjoy the following ten benefits if you drink more water each day.
- Increased Concentration – One of the most water-heavy organs of the body, the brain requires a lot of water to function properly. Not only does water aid in the function of your brain, but also in the generation of mood-boosting hormones. Even mild dehydration can negatively impact both your ability to focus and your mood.
- More Energy – Our bodies require water to carry out almost every process which happens at the cellular level. Water carries oxygen and nutrients throughout the body’s circulatory system, delivering and distributing them throughout the body. This process not only keeps you alive and moving, but is also responsible for maintaining your energy level throughout the day. If you feel sluggish in the afternoons, try sipping a free glass of water before dropping four or five dollars on a second coffee run.
- More Physical Stamina – Staying well-hydrated will improve your workouts. Water not only lubricates and cushions all of your joints during a workout, but also helps flush your muscles of lactic acid, which is responsible for the aches and pains you experience post-gym.
- Weight Control – Water is not only a great calorie-free beverage choice, but it also actively helps your body lose weight by suppressing your appetite if consumed immediately before a meal and by increasing the rate your body burns fat while working to break down fat cells.
- Less Severe Hangovers – Consuming alcohol does two harmful things to your body: 1. It dehydrates you; 2. It introduces toxins to your bloodstream. While the best way to avoid an unpleasant hangover is to avoid alcohol altogether, drinking lots of water will reduce the negative side effects if you do plan to imbibe by both maintaining hydration and helping your body flush the alcohol from its system. This will ensure you feel wide awake and headache-free the next day.
- Improved Kidney Function – Your kidneys are responsible for processing roughly 200 quarts of blood each day, separating the waste from your bloodstream and expelling it through urine in your bladder. In order to properly clean out your blood, however, the kidneys require lots of water to function and to help you avoid developing painful kidney stones due to dehydration.
- Regularity – Water also helps the body with digestion. You need water to produce the saliva which begins the digestive process by breaking food down when it first enters the mouth. Water is also necessary to separate the vitamins, protein, and other nutrients from your food once it reaches your stomach and intestines. Drinking plenty of water will ensure you avoid constipation and prevent toxins or other waste from spending too much time in your digestive tract.
- Temperature Regulation – Your body uses water to regulate its temperature. This is why dehydration can often lead to heatstroke, a condition which carries the potential to seriously harm your health.
- Fewer Headaches – Dehydration is at the root of many tension headaches. Drink plenty of water and you might be able to clean out your medicine cabinet.
- Radiant Complexion – Staying hydrated will also improve your skin’s appearance, lending a plumper, clearer appearance.
You can get your daily intake from all sorts of fluids and the water in fruits and vegetables. If the taste of water bores you, add a squeeze of citrus to your cup for added flavor. Drinking highly sugary drinks or those containing caffeine can actually dehydrate your body. Turn on the tap and raise your water glass to good health.